Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Sentence Sneak Peek = New Lands

New Lands by Geoff Rodkey

The first sentence from each chapter of New Lands, it's a mini summary of what you can expect to read.

* Spoilers are highlighted like so :)
* ARC received from the publisher for review

I hung my head over the side of the Thrush and watched the prow carve the seawater into a hissing spray.”

Pirates!”

Not long after we parted ways with Healy, the cry of “LAND HO!”

Dear Millicent,

A lot has happened since the last time I say you.

Li Homaya lived well.”

I woke up with a throbbing ache in my head.”

It took Millicent some doing to get the chains off me—she kept fumbling the keys, and when she finally got my neck free and moved on to my wrists, she tried the same key over and over, even though it clearly didn’t fit in the lock and there were two more on the ring.”

I had to follow Kira and Guts mostly by sound—not just be-cause it was dark, but because I was holding one arm in front of my face so my eyes wouldn’t get poked out by one of the stiff branches we were crashing through.”

When I woke up, I wasn’t sure if it was morning or afternoon.”

My brain shut down completely.”

I tore down the hillside.”

My stomach was full for the first time in days, and for the moment we seemed safe from Pembroke’s slavers.”

It took us three more days to reach the foothills, and aside from the nagging sense of dread I could never quite shake, it turned out to be a wonderful trip.”

Guts didn’t want to stay down.”

One of the Moku warriors barked an order.”

Adonis stared at me like he was seeing a ghost.”

The temple steps were almost too high to climb.”

I must have been out for a good ten hours, because the sun was over the trees by the time I woke up.”

Dad was waiting at the bottom of the temple steps.”

It was two hours past sunrise, and the old man who lived in the building across the road was still eating his breakfast.”

His clothes were dusty and grime-streaked from travelling, and there was a week’s growth of beard on his sun-browned face.”

Dad’s body pitched forward.”

I don’t know how long they kept me in the cell.”

After Pembroke left, I lay in the darkness for a long time, try-ing to puzzle out what he meant by “worthless.”

The part of me that was floating detached above the whole scene suddenly reentered my body.”

Thank you,” were the first words out of my mouth after Healy cut the gag with his knife.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy the blog, I love reading each and every comment. :)