Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Sentence Sneak Peek - Icons

Icons by Margaret Stohl


The first sentence from each chapter of Icons, it's a mini summary of what you can expect to read.

* Book won from the Shelf Awareness newsletter
* Spoilers are highlighted like so :)
“One tiny gray dot, no bigger than a freckle, marks the inside of the baby’s chubby arm.”


“Dol?”


“By the time we reach the top of the hillside, the sky has turned dark as the eggplants in the Mission garden.”


“Feelings are memories.”


“I am alive.”


“The blast does more than blow open the door.”


“I open my eyes.”


“Four dots.”


“Dol, wake up.”


“Going somewhere?”


“The moment I leave the Ambassador’s office, four Sympa guards descend on me.”


“In the darkness I hear a sound, something knocking at a door.”


“From our vantage point, hidden behind the open entrance doors, I can see the kitchen is ten times larger than the one in the Mission, with stoves the size of furnaces, built of metal instead of brick and stone.”


“Of course, we aren’t allowed to wash up, after the garbage disaster.”


“The Catalina Presidio.”


“That night at dinner, I sit alone with Tima.”


“The next morning, the four of us meet outside the library, where our Sympa guards believe we are meeting with Catallus.”


“What now?”


“The Porthole docks are teeming with life.”


“We’ve reached the road to the Avenues that lead into town.”


“I leave the Benevolent Society, running as fast as I can.”


“You’re what?”


“All right.”


“He must have begun moving before I hit the ground, because I’m not still for more than a second when he attacks.”


“By the time we reach the bottom of the hill, my heart is aching, my head is throbbing, my ears are bloody and ringing—and Fortis is gone.”


“At dinner that night, the four of us can barely face each other.”


“The door slides shut, and I look around Tima’s room.”


“Three of us sit in a gloomy gray cell in the Presidio Pen, just as Lucas said we would.”


Fortis turns to me.”


“I’m not sure how long I sit, stunned and in shock.”


“Birds used to sound like rubber squeak toys, the kind you’d give a dog.”


“Feelings are memories.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy the blog, I love reading each and every comment. :)