Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Wither's Winning Ways


This book was crazy but I loved every second of it.  It gets a wonderful 5 gnomes out of 5 gnomes for having great characters like Rhine and her sister wives and for taking a look at a world where you really have to live like every day was your last.

Wow, I swear Wither was like Little Women on steroids.  I love all the strong characters in this crazy making world.  I think the reader is likely to see at least some aspect of themselves in the very different sister wives.  Rhine, Jenna, and Cecily each have their own ideas about how they should handle the situation that they are now in.

There's a love triangle but it's not bad it's actually one that makes you think too.  She could go for either guy and by the end they both seem to be equally sympathetic and have their reasons for what they do.  It looks like there is more then one bad guy in the book but by the end there's no question as to who the bad guy really is.  

This book has one of those settings where you know there has to be more out their in the world.  I have a feeling that this will be explored in later books because geography and different countries are mentioned a lot by more than one character.

I would have liked to see more of Rhine's life before she was kidnapped so there would have been more to compare it to her current life.  The flashbacks we do get are helpful though and make you more curious about the outside world.

This is also one of those books that differs from its summary.  I know I expected something different from the original summary of the book that I read.  From my impressions I thought that Rhine and Linden's father would be working together and that turned out to be a hundred percent false.  

Overall there are many surprises in this book and the characters are not easy to classify as good or evil. Rhine doesn't know how to feel but knows that freedom is what she wants most. There are questions in the end of course and the next book should be a doozy.  

3 comments:

  1. I am also very curious about the outside world, though it sounds disturbing. Lauren DeStefano was doing one of those SpringForm Q&A's and I asked if people still kept pets, and she said, "No, they're too busy watching their children die." But I thought that the elite might keep pets, especially since there's a bird cage on the book's cover, which I guess is more symbolic than anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Amy, Yeah the outside world of Wither really makes you wonder because you only see the parts of the city that the richest in society see.

    I agree with you too on the whole pet thing (I think people will always find a way to have pets) and just imagine if you had a parrot or something in that world the bird would probably live longer then you would.

    @TwilightsDance, Yeah, I loved this book too and can't wait to see what happens next. I'm also hoping that characters that I like will stop dying off :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi, let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy the blog, I love reading each and every comment. :)