Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Shining Star


Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini


* Read this ARC via NetGalley

This book gets a terrific 4 gnomes out of 5 gnomes for having a refreshing take on Greek mythology that shows a lot of promise for future books.  The characterizations are strong and you'll find yourself caring for just about every character in the story.

The main character, Helen, has always known that there was something different about her, other than the fact that she's really tall.  Helen has never really shown what she can do to anyone and has tried her hardest to appear average.  When a new family moves to town she can't pretend to be average anymore.   

At first you might be thinking that the book is going to take the normal sappy girl loves boy at first sight route. The fact that it didn't take this route really surprised me and made it fun to read.  This unusual reaction brings a lot of tension to the characters and leads the story in unexpected directions.

This book was crazy intense.  I started it at work and then was up until two in the morning because I just had to finish it.  It's a very strange story and the ending is pretty darn infuriating/needed more explanation to make it less infuriating.  

Helen, is the kind of heroine that I wish there were more of in YA literature, she is an awesome character and actually has supportive friends.  Towards the end of the book you may find yourself questioning her choices but in the context of the book if you're like me I'm sure you'll  be crossing your fingers hoping that she figures things out sooner rather than later.

Overall, I loved the characters and the story.  The ending left me a little blah because at least one element seemed to be borrowed from another very popular YA series.  Also you see a character seeming to agree with the bad guy just a little too easily.  I can't wait to see what happens in the next book and if there is any chance for the characters to live happily ever after.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy the blog, I love reading each and every comment. :)