Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Sentence Sneak Peek - The Journey Back

The Journey Back by Priscilla Cummings

The first sentence from each chapter of The Journey Back, it's a mini summary of what you can expect to read.

* Spoilers are highlighted like so :)
* ARC received from the publisher

It was my birthday, the day I made up my mind to leave.”

A harsh metal screech tore through the air.”

Did you ever wake up in the morning and not know what day it was?”

Plunging my feet, boots and all, into the nearby stream I started running—hopping rocks, splashing between boul-ders, sometimes sinking in up to my knees.”

Out on the highway, I got that truck rolling.”

Blanket under one arm, jacket under the other, I sprinted downhill and across a field.”

Slowly I baby stepped through the shadows, trying not to crunch any leaves or make any noise.”

A big clunk startled me.”

Think of the other person,” Mr. R. was telling us one night as we sat around the campfire.”

It was best, I decided, for me and Buddy to walk the tow-path at night because the police had to be looking for me by then.”

A flash of lightning jolted me from sleep.”

All night I lay there with my ankle throbbing like crazy, bug bites itching, and gnats trying to crawl in my eyes.”

“Do you think he’s dead?”

After my eyesight cleared up, I also had a good look at this girl, Nora.”

Besides making dinner with Luke, I was also helping him with his homework.”

At first I thought I’d hide in the bathroom, but then I figured that was too obvious.”

“Your adventure name?”

“Hey, how’s it going?”

“Digger!”

By the end of October a lot of little things started to change.”

It was Nora who told me I had died.”

Why not?”

I felt like such a loser.”

Landing on the opposite side of the river from Luke, I paused a moment, hands on my hips, ‘cause honest, I did not know what to do.”

In the waiting room at the prison’s medical clinic, there was a bunch of stuff on the coffee table: a Bible, a copy of Sports Illustrated with the cover ripped off, a People Magazine, and a dictionary.”

While I was “in the hole” in Hagerstown, I had two other visitors.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy the blog, I love reading each and every comment. :)