Monday, December 10, 2012

Sentence Sneak Peek - Eyes to See

Eyes to See by Joseph Nassise

The first sentence from each chapter of Eyes to See, it's a mini summary of what you can expect to read.

* Spoilers are highlighted like so :)
* Received from the publisher for review


“I gave up my eyes in order to see more clearly.”

“There was a long moment of uncomfortable silence.”

“I nudged the door the rest of the way open with my foot, allowing me to see beyond it, into the apartment itself.”

I can’t remember my first kiss or the first time I said “I love you” to the woman I would one day marry, two events most people would consider to be quintessential moments in a man’s life, but I remember each and every detail, no matter how trivial, of the horrible afternoon when Elizabeth disappeared.

“With the threat to my life now over, I sagged against a nearby wall and caught my breath.”

“Lend me your eyes,” I said to Whisper.”

“Behind Hunt, the creature wearing the face of Officer Marcus Williams stood on the steps and watched him go, a smile spreading across its features.”

In the aftermath of Elizabeth’s disappearance, my house filled up with strangers.

“Despite my fatigue, I didn’t feel much like going straight home.”

“From a booth in the back corner, Denise Clearwater watched as Hunt hung up the phone and went back to nursing his drink.”

It was almost a week after my daughter disappeared when the witness came forward.

“I caught a cab outside of Murphy’s and rode home in si-lence.”

“True to his word, the next morning there was a package from Stanton containing a thick sheaf of photographs waiting just inside my gates.”

“Boston’s City Hall has to be one of the ugliest buildings ever designed by man.”

“By the time I left the M.E.’s office, afternoon had faded into evening.”

“On the other side of town, the creature discarded the face of Officer Williams.”

I thought the first month was bad, but it wasn’t even worth comparing to the endless weeks of fear and anxi-ety that followed.

“I’d shed my anxiety and self-pity by the time I reached home.”

“Denise dreamed.”

“”Marshall had been trying to tell me something, and I was determined to figure out just what it was, but there was no way I was going to be able to do so with Stanton and the rest of the crime scene crew milling about.”

I have to get home.

In hindsight, Anne’s leaving saved me from myself.

“Once I’d made up my mind that I was going to handle this without the police, it was clear that I was going to need help.”

“The cab dropped me off outside her Brookline address, and I managed to negotiate the narrow stairs down to the front door of her apartment without tripping and killing myself.”

A hedge witch, actually, as I found out moments later.”

“I laid the pewter figurines on the table in front of me.”

The world turned and time continued to pass, without a single clue as to what had happened to Elizabeth.

“The events at Clearwater’s had left me full of conflicting feelings.”

“On the walls.”

It didn’t take me long to read the entire book.

“Who?”

“Denise had driven only a few blocks when she noticed that Hunt had forgotten his satchel.”

“I awoke the next morning on an unfamiliar couch in an unfamiliar living room.”

Isaiah 44 says that we know nothing and understand nothing.

“The Magister’s revelation had startled Denise and Hunt both, but it had also made a lot of sense in her view.”

“Yep, that’s you all right,” Dmitri said, staring at the painting in front of him.”

“The fetch moved through the crumbling hallways with ease despite the darkness that lay over them.”

“After returning to Murphy’s, the three of us sat around debating our next course of action.”

To this day I don’t remember how I managed to get back to my house, never mind inside.

“Where the hell is he?”

They let me sitting in the interrogation room for close to two hours.”

“It was obvious to me what had happened.”

“Time’s up, counselor,” the guard said, opening the door of the cell and stepping to the side to let Dmitri squeeze past.”

“Denise awoke to darkness.”

“Officer Dietrich was a gibbering wreck by the time we dumped him on a side street twenty minutes later.”

“The tunnel ran for several hundred yards, turning a time or two before climbing steadily and depositing us into the generator room in the basement of the Kirk-bride building.”

“Denise regained consciousness for the second time in as many hours.”

“Stanton brought his car slowly to a halt several yards behind the parked Charger.”

The night I met Stanton was probably one of the worst nights of my life.

“The ghosts dispersed shortly thereafter, leaving me lying at the bottom of the stairwell, dazed and bruised in their wake.”

“I thought I was a goner.”

As I stood there, listening to that psycho laugh and wait-ing for the fetch to finish me off, the Magister’s message of days before suddenly came back to me, like a voice speaking inside my head.”

“With Scream’s departure I could turn my attention from the dead to the living.”

“It was only a few hours before Special Agent Dale Robertson arrived at the scent.”

“Dmitri’s bolt-hole turned out to be a small, two-bedroom colonial in Norton, a little country town about forty-five minutes south of Boston.”


A Tiny Reverse Vampire Post

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy the blog, I love reading each and every comment. :)