Friday, February 13, 2015

Review - The Duff

The DUFF by Kody Kleplinger

2 gnomes and a gnome hat out of 5 gnomes

This book, well first of all I thought it was going to be a lot funnier than it actually was. It was good but not spectacular and by the end not many of the characters are likable.

It looks like the movie’s going to be completely different from the book according to the description at IMDB.com (I have a feeling I might like the movie more.)

The book has a good concept with the whole role of the DUFF but I don’t think it sticks the landing. To start with Wesley is the only one you hear use that word, it would work better if everybody used that for an insult.

It did have good parts but a lot of the time it was hard to understand why all the character do what they do. Though it did have the whole kind of bad soap opera aspect where you want to keep reading just to see what happens.

Where the book lost me though was that I really, really, really didn’t like how the whole alcohol problem was dealt with. Everything just ended up being taken care of way too easily with no real consequences. I kind of had the same problem with her parents and their problems too, they just don’t feel very fleshed out. Bianca forgives them both entirely too fast especially after what they both did. Plus what happened with her father, to just pretty much talk about that once and not say anything again is just really damn weird.

The book was good in pieces but I found myself plodding through the story at times instead of enjoying it.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt this way, but I also think I might enjoy the movie more.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy the blog, I love reading each and every comment. :)