Friday, January 9, 2015

Review - My True Love Gave to Me: Twelve Holiday Stories

My True Love Gave to Me: Twelve Holiday Stories Edited by Stephanie Perkins

5 out 0f 5 gnomes

This is an superb holiday filled book and I know it really put me in the holiday spirit. There were some truly great stories and pretty much only one that had a WTF is this kind of ending to it.

Here’s what I thought of all of the stories:

Midnights by Rainbow Rowell

I love this story. Rowell sure knows how to make you care about characters in a short amount of time.

Favorite Quotes:
“If there were something out there that could kill you, wouldn’t you try to be an expert on it?”

“I knew you’d save my life,” he said.”

I know things have to change, but … I can’t lose you. I don’t think I get another one like you.”


The Lady and the Fox by Kelly Link

Such a great story and what an ending. Great magical surprise. I adored the surrealism of it all and thought Miranda was a great

Favorite Quotes:
“I don’t even have ferrets,” Miranda says.”

“Stage magic is well and good, but better to steer clear of the real kind.”

Angels in the Snow by Matt De La Peña


Such a good story. The main characters really draw you in. Plus I so want to know more about what happens.

Favorite Quotes:
“Honest to God, I had a gift for those damn bubbles.”


Polaris is Where You’ll Find Me by Jenny Han

This one reminded me of the movie Elf and it kind of has an ending that will have you looking for more.

Favorite Quotes:
“The thing about snow is, it’s very quiet.
The air is hushed. It’s like church.
    It’s reverential.”


It’s a Yuletide Miracle, Charlie Brown by Stephanie Perkins

Perkins is an awesome writer and knows how to make you very interested/want to know everything about the characters she writes. The ending of this one was great too.

Favorite Quotes:
“I’m, like, a human Tetris. It’s my superpower. It’s my duty to help you.”


Your Temporary Santa by David Levithan

This is a great take on believing/belonging.  This is another one of the stories where you’ll want to know more about the characters.


Krampuslauf by Holly Black

Now this is a fun look at Krampus. I love where the story goes and what it has to say about magic.

Favorite Quotes:
“I resolved to exert my will on the world.”


What the Hell Have You Done, Sophie Roth? by Gayle Forman

Great humor mixed in with a budding love story. Makes you really root for the characters.

Favorite Quotes:
“And not always getting what you want,” Sophie said.”
“But Sometimes getting what you need,” Russell said.”


Beer Buckets and Baby Jesus by Myra McEntire

Adore this character and would like to see a whole book about him. Quite the interesting nativity scene/problems.

Favorite Quotes:
“So you do things that make them remember.”

“Catastrophes are my specialty.”

“You took it exactly far enough.”


Welcome to Christmas, CA

This story was addictive, I couldn’t stop reading it. You really get a great feel for all of the characters. Makes you feel all Christmas-sy.

Favorite Quotes:
“The door opens with a rusted jingle, and an animatronic Santa insults my moral virtue three times. Ho, ho, ho.”

“I might be okay with Christmas, but Santa is still the worst.”


Star of Bethlehem by Ally Carter

Such a great story and easy to picture all of the characters. This is another one of the stories where I would love to read a whole book about them.

Favorite Quotes:
“I sang because not singing would never bring them back but singing might make us all remember.”


The Girl Who Woke the Dreamer by Laini Taylor

What an epic fairy tale of a story. Takes a new look at love and what it can accomplish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy the blog, I love reading each and every comment. :)