Monday, November 26, 2012

Sentence Sneak Peek - Matched

Matched by Ally Condie

The first sentence from each chapter of Matched, it's a mini summary of what you can expect to read.

* Spoilers are highlighted like so :)


Now that I’ve found the way to fly, which direction should I go into the night?

The whispers rise soft around me like birds beating their wings under the dome of City Hall.”

I’ve always wondered what my dreams look like on paper, in numbers.”

What?

There’s an opening over here,” Xander says, stopping at a game table in the middle of the room.”

There was a new boy at the pool today,” I told my parents that long-ago night, after the incident while Xander and I were swimming.”

Today is Sunday.”

None of the showings are new,” our friend Sera complains.”

Two days later, I stand with a group of other students in front of the main building of the Arboretum.”

The pattern in my neighborhood has shifted this evening; something is wrong.”

Breakfast sounds from the kitchen carry down the hall to my room.”

At work that evening, we have an interesting sort for a change.”

Cassia Reyes,” I say, holding out my scancard.”

At work the next day, we all notice immediately when the Officials enter the room.”

As I walk to the air-train stop the next morning, things feel crisp, less weighted.”

I’m getting good at C.”

The climb is almost too easy.”

Another car sits on our street, this time in front of Em’s house.”

The air train into the City the next morning is almost silent.”

I walk home from the air-train stop with Em after school and sorting.”

I have a hard time concentrating at sorting the next day.”

A few days later, I sit in Language and Literacy, staring at the instructor as she talks about the importance of composing succinct messages when communicating via port.”

The next morning I wake to a shrieking so high and keening that I bolt straight out of bed, tearing the sleep tags from my skin.”

Ky gives me three gifts for my birthday.”

Our time together feels like a storm, like wild wind and rain, like something too big to handle but too powerful to escape.”

We hurry back down from the Hill.”

Warning.”

At home that night, I take out the green tablet again.”

There is screaming in the Borough again and this time it is human.”

When the darkness finally lifts, it is a flat, hot, steelcolored morning, a morning without dimension or depth.”

Xander sits on the steps of my house.”

My hands are in the soil; my body is tired, but I will not let this work take away my thoughts.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy the blog, I love reading each and every comment. :)