Monday, September 24, 2012

Sentence Sneak Peek - Outpost

 Outpost by Ann Aguirre

The first sentence from each chapter of Outpost, it's a mini summary of what you can expect to read.

* ARC provided by the publisher via the Shelf Awareness Newsletter
* Spoilers are highlighted like so :)
 
I woke to the cold kiss of steel on my throat.”  

The school was the size of a large house, the interior space divided up by age groups.”

After school, I checked in with Momma Oaks, who was cooking when I arrived.”

The next two weeks passed in a trickle of sameness.”

Pleasure streamed through me.”

The following week passed quickly.”

The surviving growers rallied enough to go about their business, at least, but they did it with a mournful air.”

Over a fine meal of fried meat and potatoes, my foster fam-ily made an effort to get to know Fade.”

Tegan came to visit me a week later, and I felt glad of the break, as I was mending with Momma Oaks.”

Walking home with Tegan after the party, I listened to her chatter with half an ear.”

A week after the party, I convened at the barracks before dawn along with the rest of the summer patrol.”

There was no building big enough to hold the combined mass of the concerned citizenry, so Salvation assembled on the green.”

When I came through the front door, the Oakses’ house smelled of home.”

The sky was dark when I woke.”

The night passed in shifts, and there were enough guards that I wasn’t chosen to stand watch.”

For the next week—as we built fortifications and put up tents—the others treated me with a combination of anger and distrust.”

I didn’t have an opportunity to confess what we knew and how we’d learned it until the next afternoon.”

A week trickled by in relative quiet, though I sensed trou-ble brewing from Gary Miles.”

I followed Fade through town, expecting we’d wind up in the swing behind my house, but instead he led me in a direction that became more familiar with each step.”

The rain came on just before our furlough ended.”

That awful day, I’d gone about my normal morning rou-tine, cleaned my teeth, and spot washed in my tent.”

Stalker led the way with his keen eyes and as we walked, he scanned for more signs of passage.”

It wasn’t quite dawn, faint light filtered by the leaves above.”

So much water always amazed me.”

So many times, I shoved Fade ahead of me, dodged a lung-ing, snarling Freak, or leapt over the corpse of a person who hadn’t been so lucky, and we ran.”

Longshot sent Fade and Stalker back to Salvation the next day.”

Tegan found me first.”

Doc Tuttle came later in the week to remove my stitches.”

You were gone awhile,” Momma Oaks said.”

What on earth is going on here?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy the blog, I love reading each and every comment. :)