Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Legendary Legend

Legend by Marie Lu

* ARC I read via Around The World ARC Tours
* Book will be released on November 29, 2011

This lovely book receives a superb 5 out of 5 gnomes for a crazy dystopian story that feels fresh/new and is full of surprises. 

The Republic is at war with the Colonies and there’s also a terrorist group against the Republic called the Patriots.  These Patriots leave graffitti behind of what sounds like the US flag.  Living under this military rule means that you follow the rules or else.

There are two main characters in this story.  Day, the most wanted criminal in the Republic and June, one of the Republic’s prized pupils.

Day is from a slum/poor district.  He fights against the injustice of the Republic because of what he’s personally seen and experienced.  He excels at doing unexpected things and the Republic has no clue what he looks like.

June has grown up in the rich section of the Republic and is well on her way to earning a very high position/ranking in the military.  This means she could pretty much do whatever she wanted because the military practically runs the government and their leader is the kind of guy who forces every citizen to have a picture of him in their homes.

They’ve grown up in extremely different ways and that’s all they have known.  There are plenty of surprises just below the surface for both of them.  At first I thought it was just going to be a Romeo and Juliet kind of situation but it’s so much more.

This story is greatly helped by having two points of view.  I don’t think it would have worked as well if only seen from one view.  Having the perspective change on each chapter helps enhance the empathy with the characters and rachets up the tension.  The color of the type even changes depending on who’s talking.  Day’s chapters are gold and Junes are in black.

This is also one of those books where it takes a while for all the pieces to come together but when they do it’s intense.  There’s one thing about the book that I don’t quite understand but that might be clues for events to happen later.  I think this because the titles of section ones and section two intrigue me but I’m not sure what significance they have.

This world has so much to explore and is full of mysteries.  Parts of the book are gut wrenching and may just have you tearing up or as my sister said I was doing, making tiny screaming noises.  I love that these two characters are a strong couple together and individually.  Their skills are evenly matched and June doesn’t need anyone to save her, she kicks some serious butt.

I can’t say much more without spoiling things.  The ending was especially fitting but does leave the couple in an interesting place with a dangerous plan.  I cannot wait to see what happens next.

4 comments:

  1. I love novels with two points of view! I can't wait to get my hands on a copy of this novel and explore the world. Thanks for the wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Amber, Thanks, glad you like the review. This book's a great read and the 2 points of view are very well utilized.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's interesting. i had mostly heard "meh" reviews for Legend. I have it so I may give it a go to see for myself.
    I love alternating POV's now and I get disappointed with books that don't have them. I feel like I'm missing a piece of the puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Karen, Thanks, yeah I was surprised how much I liked this book. It's much better then the description makes it sound. It reminds me a bit of DIVERGENT with all the kids having a test to determine where they'll go in life.

    I'm really starting to like books with alternating points of view too. Having alternated POV's really enhances the book. June's character wouldn't have been as sympathetic if the reader couldn't see her point of view.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy the blog, I love reading each and every comment. :)