Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Sentence Sneak Peek - The Name of the Star

The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson

The first sentence from each chapter of The Name of the Star, it's a mini summary of what you can expect to read.

* All first sentences are from an ARC I read via Around The World ARC Tours

* Book will be released on September 29, 2011
* Spoilers are highlighted like this :)

“THE EYES OF LONDON WERE WATCHING CLAIRE JENKINS.”

“
IF YOU LIVE AROUND NEW ORLEANS AND THEY THINK a hurricane might be coming, all hell brakes loose.”

“
I WAS IN A FOYER PANELED IN DARK WOOD WITH A mosaic floor.”

“
SO,” CHARLOTTE CHIRPED, AS I STUMBLED AND SLID over the cobblestones, “where are you from.?”

“
I WOKE UP THE NEXT MORNING TO FIND TWO STRANGERS in my room—one mom-looking type, and the other a girl with long, honey-blond hair wearing a sensible gray cashmere sweater and a pair of jeans.”

“
LIFE AT WEXFORD BEGAN PROMPTLY AT SIX THE NEXT morning, when Jazza’s alarm went off seconds before mine.”

“
THE SAN WAS THE SANATORIUM—BASICALLY, THE nurse’s office.”

“
THE NEXT DAY, IT RAINED.”

“
WHEN YOU LIVE AT SCHOOL, YOU GET CLOSE TO people really quickly.”

“
IT DIDN’T TAKE A GREAT DEAL OF INSIGHT TO KNOW that Jazza was not going to want to go to a crime scene that evening.”

“Veronica Atkins sat at her desk in her top floor flat, overlooking the Flowers and Archers.”

“
THE AUTUMN OF 1888 WAS KNOWN AS THE AUTUMN of Terror.”

“
THE POLICE ENCOURAGE LONDONERS TO TAKE EXTRA caution this evening.”

“
IT HAD TURNED INTO A CRISP, PERFECT AUTUMN night.”

“
THE NEXT MORNING STARTED WAY TOO EARLY, WITH someone pounding wildly at our door.”

“
JAZZA WAS PACING OUR ROOM WHEN I RETURNED.”

“
THE WHITE TENT WAS THERE ALL WEEKEND, AS WAS the press.”

“
THE BBC IS USED TO DEALING WITH FREAKS, CRANKS, and psychos.”

“THE POLICE PACKED UP BY MONDAY MORNING, AND the press left as soon as the white tent came down.”

“
THE NEXT MORNING, WE TOOK A FINAL LOOK AT OUR room as it was before we headed off to breakfast.”

“
GATORS ARE JUST SOMETHING YOU HAVE TO ACCEPT where I come from.”

“
THE NEXT MORNING, I HEADED OFF TO ART HISTORY with Boo at my side.”

“
SO I GOT TO RIDE IN A LONDON POLICE CAR.”

“
AT THE END OF THE SCHOOL YEAR AT THE UNIVERSITY where my parents teach, you can see parakeets in the trees.”

“
JEROME DIDN’T FORGET.”

“
CLEARLY, JEROME AND I HAD A COMPLICATED THING going on.”

“
GHOSTS, ACCORDING TO THE INTERNET:
     Souls, spooks, shades, poltergeists, reverants.”

“
DAMN, IT FELT GOOD TO BE A RIPPEROLOGIST.”

“
STEPHEN WAS DRIVING WITH A GRIM, FIXED INTENSITY.”

“
IT WAS ALMOST THREE IN THE MORNING WHEN STEPHEN dropped me off at Wexford, but there were lots of lights on in the windows.”

“
ON SUNDAY, I WOKE AROUND FIVE IN THE MORNING.”

“
WE WERE IN A SMALL SQUARE OUTSIDE OF A CHURCH.”

“
AGAIN, I WOKE UP AROUND FIVE IN THE MORNING.”

“
IT WAS A LONG NIGHT, AND I WASN’T SURE WHAT WAS worse—the terror I was just managing to keep at bay or the boredom.”

“
A LONG SILENCE GREETED THIS ANNOUNCEMENT.”

“
ONE THING ABOUT STEPHEN—HE COULD REALLY drive.”

“
IN 1888, MILLER’S COURT WAS A DARK OFFSHOOT OF Dorset Street, known as “the worst street in London.”

“
WE WERE SITTING IN THE POLICE CAR ACROSS THE street from Regis House.”

“
THE SPIRAL EMERGENCY STAIRS , MADE AROUND 1890, hadn’t been improved since then.”

“
THERE WAS A SOUND FROM THE STEPS, ONE SMALL groan from Stephen as he heard me say these words.”

“
AT HEALING ANGEL MINISTRIES, COUSIN DIANE reads people’s auras.”

“
WHEN I WOKE AGAIN, IT WAS DAYLIGHT.”

“
SO MY UNCLE WILL HAS THESE EIGHT FREEZERS UP IN his spare bedroom.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy the blog, I love reading each and every comment. :)