Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Sentence Sneak Peek - Talon

Talon by Julie Kagawa

The first sentence from each chapter of Talon, it's a mini summary of what you can expect to read.

* Spoilers are highlighted like so :)

“Ember, when did your parents die, and what was the cause of death?”

“I crouched in the damp, steamy undergrowth of the Brazilian rain forest, insects humming around me, feeling sweat trickle down my back beneath my combat armor.”

“The ocean wasn’t cooperating today.”

“I wasn’t terribly fond of these clothes.”

“It was late afternoon when we got to the cove, which was flanked on two sides by a wall of windswept cliffs that sheltered it from waves and casual tourists.”

“We drove to the main beach, Tristan and I in the front, our three passengers and a surfboard in the backseat.”

“From the edge of the parking lot, I watched the black Jeep pull onto the road, pick up speed and cruise out of sight.”

“You still haven’t told me the plan, I told Tristan as we walked through a pair of sliding glass doors.”

“Hey, Dante, do you ever miss flying?”

“Come on,” Tristan muttered from the edge of the roof.”

“Lover’s Bluff, as it was called by the locals, was a lonely outcropping of rock that jutted over the ocean, several miles past the main beach and in the middle of nowhere.”

“No luck.”

Made it.

“Fifteen twenty-two, and still no Ember.”

“Garret picked up his board and turned to me, waiting.”

“There you are,” Tristan said as I came through the front door, tossing the keys onto the counter.”

“Ember, you’re not eating.”

“So, you have a possible target now.”

“Hellooooooo.”

“I was beginning to reach the point where Ember’s sudden, random phrases didn’t startle me quite so much anymore, but still, this one threw me a bit.”

“We played three more times.”

“Ember was late again.”

“Ready?”

“The drive back was...”

“Where’ve you been?”

“Apparently, parties at seven o’clock didn’t really start at seven o’clock.”

“Okay, this night was officially weird.”

“I had to get out of there.”

“Garret!”

“That was not the first thing I wanted to hear after returning from a party that, for all intents and purposes, had sucked ass big-time.”

“It was after 2:00 a.m. when I returned home.”

“I was fieldstripping my Glock when Tristan came home.”

“The soldiers were on to me.”

Perfect.

“I watched Riley jog to his motorcycle, swing aboard and roar off down the street.”

“For once, Ember was waiting at our meeting place ahead of me.”

“Movies.”

“Ember smiled and brushed past me, her fingers skimming my arm as she went by.”

“When I maneuvered my way back to the table, Garret was in the same spot, his chin resting on his hands as he watched the milling crowd.”

“No.”

Two dragons were sitting in my living room when I walked through the door.”

“I was soaring the wind currents, the sun warm on my back, the breeze cool in my face.”

“I was finishing a report to Lieutenant Martin when there was a knock at the door.”

“After I left Garret’s apartment, I rode aimlessly for a while, my mind still a chaotic, swirling mess.”

“I lowered the phone, slipping it into my jeans pocket.”

“Mental note: Add riding a motorcycle to the Almost as Good as Flying list.”

“I rode in the back of the truck, pressed between two soldiers, feeling every bump and jolt through the metal bench welded to the sides.”

“Ember followed me down the stairs, where the crack of billiard balls told me exactly how the two hatchlings were getting ready to leave, which was not at all.”

“A shrill beeping cut through the silence.”

“In combat, everything slows down and speeds up at the same time.”

“Cobalt!”

“I didn’t fly far.”

“The raid that evening had been disastrous.”

Where was she?

Lilith,” Riley growled, backing away, as my trainer, Scary Talon Lady herself, sauntered toward us.”

“There’s her car.”

“I opened my eyes as gunfire boomed over the sand.”

“By far, that had been the stupidest thing I’d ever done.”

“Cobalt stopped short as I leaped in front of him, blocking the path to Garret.”

“She’d escaped.”

“I lay on my stomach behind a sand dune, watching the line of soldiers move toward the big brown truck parked behind a boulder.”

“Do you know why we have brought you here, Mr. Hill?”

1 comment:

Hi, let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy the blog, I love reading each and every comment. :)