Saturday, October 30, 2010

Sentence Sneak Peek - Double Cross

Double Cross by Carolyn Crane

The first sentence from each chapter of Double Cross, it's a mini summary of what you can expect to read.

*Please note that in the books they aren't yelling when these lines are said that's just how the lines are formatted so that's how I'll be typing them for you to view.

"EZ THE COAT CHECK GIRL, a.k.a. the Stationmaster, draws her face right up close to the glass window of her little booth and fixes me with a piercing gaze."

"IT'S JUST AFTER SIX when I step out of the piano bar into an evening alive with the sound of police sirens and the chop-chop of helicopters."

"THEEL BURRO MEXICAN RESTAURANT occupies the ground floor of a brick building that's squeezed between a little grocery and a pawnshop on the southwestern edge of town."

"JIMMY STOPS THE TOWN CAR on my modest, well-lit block of cheerful storefronts and eateries tucked below brick apartments."

"A DIM, ENCLOSED STAIRWELL--wide, with a metal banister up the center, and graffiti all over the cement block walls."

"LATER THAT MORNING, I get in my car and start over to Mongolian Delites to say hi to the gang and grab a pastry before I see Ez."

"THE DAY IS GORGEOUS--it has to be nearly forty de-grees."

"GETTING THE ADDRESS, phone number, or even a non-fake name associated with the Paradigm Factory is about as easy as finding the lost Lindbergh baby."

"A NEW TEAM OF TAX AUDITORS will be reviewing the Paranoia Factory operations: Shelby and Simon and me."

"OTTO LIVES in a classic stone building nestled between an old-century hotel and a yesteryear department store that caters to Midcity dowagers who no longer care about money or hipness."

"I'VE GOT HIM in a bear hug at the top of the steps."

"AT 6:30 A.M. Shelby, Simon, and I meet with Ken--the one highcap accountant anybody could locate--at a coffee shop by the river."

"YOU'RE HERE!"

"SUMMER."

"I'M NOT IN THE IDEAL STATE of mind for visiting Ez, but it's not like I can take the night off, being that I only have until Monday to get her rolling."

"I WALK INTO Mongolian Delites so confused, so lost, and he's there."

"AN HOUR LATER I'm all coffeed up and cozy in a wooly red turtleneck, jeans, suede lace-up boots, and my black coat and hat."

"I SIT IN MY CAR across the street from Covian's house, which looks as it did the first time I stopped by."


"I DON'T KNOW HOW I get through the day."

"PACKARD COMES TO THE DOOR looking mussed and soft, as though the lack of sleep has robbed him of his hard edges."

"MOLD."

"I SIT DOWN at Packard's HQ desk and boot up the lap-top."

"THE GROUP OF US spend a whirlwind afternoon in the hospital, getting X-rayed, poked, and palpated by doc-tors, and questioned by cops."

"FINALLY THE BUS LETS ME OFF at the stop near Packard's."

"SO WHERE ARE WE GOING?"

"THE 9-1-1 OPERATOR wants me to stay on the line, but I don't want to talk anymore."

"CANDLELIGHT FLASHES in Otto's dark eyes as he reaches across the table, palm upturned."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy the blog, I love reading each and every comment. :)