Thursday, October 21, 2010

Sentence Sneak Peek - Nightshade

Nightshade by Andrea Cremer

The first sentence from each chapter of Nightshade, it's a mini summary of what you can expect to read.
*Please note that in the books they aren't yelling when these lines are said that's just how the lines are formatted so that's how I'll be typing them for you to view.

______'S are where potential spoilers about the text are.


"I'D ALWAYS WELCOMED WAR, BUT IN BATTLE my passion rose unbidden."

"WHEN I OPENED THE FRONT DOOR TO MY house, my body went rigid."

"WHEN I ENTERED THE KITCHEN FOR BREAK-fast, my family fell silent."

"I BOLTED FOR MY DESK AS THE FIRST BELL rang."

"LAMELY TITLED "BIG IDEAS," MY ONLY AFTER-noon course surveyed philosophy from the classical era through the present day."

"YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS."

"I COULD STILL FEEL THE BASS VIBRATIONS from the club as I stood on the sidewalk, wondering if I should just call a cab and go home."

"I BARELY SLEPT."

"I'M SURPRISED YOU SHOWED UP."

"DARKNESS ENVELOPED THE SKY BY THE time I wearily pushed open my front door."

"WHEN WE PULLED INTO THE SCHOOL PARK-ing lot the next morning, Ansel turned to me."

"MY JAW CLAMPE SO HARD THROUGH THE philosophy seminar I wondered if its dull ache would settle there permanently."

"I SLID DOWN THE LOCKER AND TUCKED MY legs beneath me."

"SHADOWS POURED INTO THE CLEARING, turning the bright greens of the ferns to muted blues and grays."

"A SHINY BLACK GRAND CHEROKEE WAS parked in our driveway."

"SHAY FLIPPED OVER THE PAGE AND SCRIB-bled a few notes while I fidgeted in my seat."

"SHAY WASN'T IN FIRST PERIOD."

"SHAY SLAMMED THE LIBRARY BOOK SHUT, giving it an abrupt shove."

"BLOOD MOON."

"OW!"

"SO WHAT ARE YOU DOING TONIGHT?"

"SHAY LEANED AGAINST HIS FORD RANGER."

"STOP WHINING; YOU'RE EIGHTEEN YEARS old and you keep acting like a puppy."

"WE GOT THROUGH SHAY'S FIRST DAY AT school since ______ without incident, except for one close call in Big Ideas."

"YOU CAN'T ALL GO TO THE CAVE."

"I MADE IT HALFWAY TO THE STONE STEPS OF Rowan Estate before terror locked me in place."

"A STARTLED CLUSTER OF PIGEONS DROPPED from the eaves above the stained glass windows."

"THE NEXT MORNING SHAY WANDERED INTO homeroom with a haunted expression on his face."

"SHAY WATCHED AS I STRETCHED OUT ON HIS bed."

"YOU DIDN'T SLEEP AGAIN LAST NIGHT, DID you?"

"THERE."

"THE WORLD BLURRED AND I THOUGHT I might pass out."

"WE WOVE THROUGH THE MAZE OF PINE trees."

"SHAY WAS RUNNING THROUGH THE GARDENS of Rowan Estate by the time I caught him."

I LIVED IN THE SPACE BETWEEN THE CON-scious and the unconscious."

2 comments:

Hi, let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy the blog, I love reading each and every comment. :)