Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Sentence Sneak Peek - The Replacement

The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff

The first sentence from each chapter of The Replacement, it's a mini summary of what you can expect to read.

"I don't remember any of the true, important parts, but there's this dream I have."

"Roswell found me in the courtyard."

"In the front hall, I dropped my book bag and yanked off my hoodie."

"Later, I lay facedown on the bed."

"Friday was chilly and gray."

"When Roswell picked me up after dinner for our weekly trip downtown to see the showcase of local bands, we didn't talk much."

"My pulse hammered and I put out a hand to steady myself."

"When Roswell dropped me off at home, I waited until his taillights had disappeared around the corner."

"At Stephanie Beecham's, the street was full of car doors slamming."

"The neighborhood was quiet."

"When I left the slag heap, the air was clammy, damp with autumn and the rain that never seemed to stop."

"The next day was Sunday, and I wok up to rain coursing steadily down my window."

"That night, Roswell cam to get me and didn't ask questions."

"When I went back out into the crowd, no one really noticed me."

"I lay on the ground for way too long, with my face against the wet grass and the rain soaking into my clothes."

"I climbed out of the ravine onto Orchard and started toward home."

"I got through school in a daze the next day."

"Emma and my mom were already gone by the time I went down for breakfast on Tuesday, and I ate cold cereal alone, standing over the sink."

"It wasn't a date."

"Roswell parked at the top of the ravine and opened his door."

"I woke up in the dark, sprawled on the Morrigan's four-poster bed with the blankets tangled around my legs."

"The next day was significant, mostly because it was the first day in weeks that it wasn't actually raining."

"The smoke was oily black."

"At home, I wrapped a dish towel around my hand and dug through the cupboard over the refrigerator, feeling around in the mess of forbidden cutlery for a pairing knife."

"I woke myself up shivering, curled awkwardly on the picnic bench."

"Under the slag heap, the House of Mayhem was humid from the rain."

"When I came in out of the drizzle and the fog, I was relieved to see my dad's black overcoat hanging in the hall."

"Roswell closed the casket and we dropped it back into the grave."

"It wasn't long before they came and got us, dragging us out of the dump hill and toward the graveyard in early-morning darkness."

"The floor was wet under my head, and that was fine."

"On Concord Street, the porch light was still on, glowing in the weak dawn light."

"Monday was as normal as it could be under the cir-cumstances."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy the blog, I love reading each and every comment. :)