Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Sentence Sneak Peek - The Girl on the Train

The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins

The first sentence from each chapter of The Girl on the Train, it's a mini summary of what you can expect to read. (This book doesn’t really have chapters so I’m just writing the first sentence each time there’s a point of view shift.)

“There is a pile of clothing on the side of the train tracks.”


“I can hear the train coming; I know its rhythm by heart.”


“I am exhausted, my head thick with sleep.”


“It’s going to rain soon, I can feel it coming.”


“Cathy called me back just as I was leaving the flat this morning and gave me a stiff little hug.”


“Sometimes, I don’t want to go anywhere, I think I’ll be happy if I never have to set foot outside the house again.”


“I’m on the 8:04, but I’m not going into London.”


“The room is dark, the air close, sweet with the smell of us.”


“The 8:04 is almost deserted.”


“Evie wakes just before six.”


“I wake with my head full of him.”


“I don’t lose.”


“And now I wait.”


“Tom woke me up early with a kiss and a cheeky grin.”


“It takes me a while to realize what I’m feeling when I wake.”


“I can’t sleep in this heat.”


“I dreamed last night that I was in the woods, walking by myself.”


“Tom is meeting some of his army buddies for a drink and Evie’s down for her nap.”


“It’s different, the nightmare I wake from this morning.”


“I was with the National Childbirth Trust girls at Starbucks when it happened.”


“The heat is insufferable, it builds and builds.”


“I’m sitting on the sofa in his living room, a glass of wine in my hand.”


“I wake early.”


“I drove to the gym in Northcote for my spin class this morning, then dropped into the Matches store on the way back and treated myself to a very cute Max Mara minidress (Tom will forgive me once he sees me in it).”


“We’re in the car park at Wilton Lake.”


“I watched Tom getting ready for work this morning, putting on his shirt and tie.”


“Cathy has got me a job interview.”


“I hate myself for crying, it’s so pathetic.”


“One piece of the memory led to the next.”


“I hurl the phone over the fence, as far as I can; it lands somewhere on the edge of the scree at the top of the embankment.”


“I’m not really sure what to do, so I just ring the doorbell.”


“For some reason, the whole thing seems very funny all of a sudden.”


“She’s forced my hand.”


Anna turns on her heel and runs into the house the second she sees him.”


“It’s not until we get into the car that I notice he has blood on his hand.”


“In the living room, we sit in a little triangle: Tom on the sofa, the adoring father and dutiful husband, daughter on his lap, wife at his side.”


She’s on the floor in the kitchen.”

“I can hear something, a hissing sound.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy the blog, I love reading each and every comment. :)