Thursday, June 13, 2013

Monumental Monument

Monument 14 Sky On Fire by Emmy Laybourne



4 gnomes and a gnome hat out of 5 gnomes

This series is so freaking good because it has an edge of your seat plot and a plethora of characters that you will find yourself actually caring about. None of the characters feel underused, I really want to know how all of their lives are going to turn out.

The point of view in the book is split up between Dean and his brother Alex.  At first you might think that one group’s going to have it a lot easier than the other but there are plenty of surprises in store for both groups.

The book has a great range of emotions. There’s plenty of scary moments but also some really touching moments too.  It’s not all doom and gloom though there’s some funny too.  Max has got to be the funniest little kid character that I’ve read in quite a while.  The stories he tells are hilarious.

There were some scary moments where I thought the book was going to go a lot darker in tone than it actually did especially with Niko’s group. I’m already suspicious of the government in this story so I think there was good reason to be worried.  I was pretty sure that they were all about to die at more than one point in the story.

There are no easy relationships in this book.  I think Astrid is definitely in for a bumpy ride with her future but I really hope that it works out.  This story is really about a large diverse group finding a way to become a family even in horrible conditions.

The teamwork that leads to the conclusion really made me want to cheer, talk about your close timing, that really was a heck of a save.  The end of the book made me extremely happy that there’s going to be another book in this series.  It ends on a somewhat hopeful note and the future looks very intriguing.  There are so many questions about what exactly happened to create the nightmare scenario that this future world is going through.  I can’t wait to see how this trilogy ends and where all the characters end up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy the blog, I love reading each and every comment. :)