Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Awesome Audio - Head Rush

Head Rush by Carolyn Crane
  • Narrated by Rebecca Wisocky
5 out of 5 gnomes

I don't usually listen to audio books but I knew I had to when I heard that the last book in Carolyn Crane's Disillusionists series was being released in audio book format first before all the other formats.

I'm always wary of audio books but the narrator for Head Rush, Rebecca Wisocky, was a superb reader.  She performed all of the voices well so you could actually differentiate between the characters, this is important because not being able to tell characters apart is a reason that I've stayed away from audio books before.  Her voices really drew me into the story and help to visualize the characters even more.  The voice for Justine is spot-on and Simon is also hilarious in audio book form. Another fun voice is Justine's father.  Meeting her father in this book is great and lets the reader see exactly where some of her neuroses came from.  The only voice I was iffy with was the one used for Otto, but that voice slowly grew on me and just ended up working so well.

The story feels epic while reading.  I know I probably looked insane while listening to this in the car because I kept yelling at it.  There is just so much that happens and the pieces all line up for quite the intense/crazy/awesome conclusion.  Crane even accomplished the awesome feat of having me not entirely hate Otto by the end of the book, he has quite the character evolution over these three books.  I was also thrilled how much Justine has grown and changed over this series, especially in how she reacts in the finale.   If you love the Disillusionists series then I highly recommend that you give this audio book a try.


Here are some of my thoughts that I had while reading/discussing the book on Twitter:
It's great but probably makes me look crazy while driving as I yell at it. :)

I know I usually hate audio books too but the narrator for this one is great. :)

I'm only on chapter 6 and it's already crazy I just couldn't wait to see what happens :)

Finished listening to HEAD RUSH :) It was awesome, really glad that it ended the way it did. (a definite 5 out of 5 gnomes)

the audio book of HEAD RUSH is awesome so far, I think I'm on chapter 16.

Can't wait to reread it in ebook form. It was a very fitting ending for the series. Also love what you did with Otto.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy the blog, I love reading each and every comment. :)