Thursday, May 14, 2015

Review - Seriously Wicked

Seriously Wicked by Tina Connolly

* Read via NetGalley and copy provide by publisher for review.

3 gnomes and a gnome hat out of 5 gnomes

My dreams are crushed I tell you because if spells were anything like Algebra then I definitely could never have been a witch. In this world spells are like math and you have to figure how to work them out, what to leave in and what not to use.

It took me awhile to get into this book even though it is a really short book. The tone of it is a bit weird, it kind of wavers between feeling like a Middle Grade book and a YA book. (I think the story might have benefitted more from going more Middle Grade.)

Camellia aka Cam lives with a wicked witch and has to contend with going to school, finding random spell ingredients, and being punished in some very weird ways. Things go very wrong one day and a guy she just met becomes involved in her life in a rather unfortunate way.

She has to choose whether to help or hinder these supernatural forces and hopefully save the soul of the boyband-boy she might just really like.

The whole mystery around what Cam and can’t do it pretty intriguing and there are a couple of good red herrings thrown in the mix. I for one didn’t figure out where the object they were looking for the whole book was hidden.

I liked her friend Jenah and wanted to know more about her. Also wanted to see more of Moonfire.

Overall a good read but I think I would have loved it more if there was a lot more fun had with the whole witch concept.



Random Thoughts:

I would never trust someone that wants to be called Sparkle, (unless they’re cosplaying as a My Little Pony or something.)

Love that pentagram idea oh and Moonfire is awesome.

The end will for sure make you say "Awwww."

Let’s just say she must have had quite an imagination to make and believe something so big at the age of 5...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy the blog, I love reading each and every comment. :)