Friday, April 1, 2016

Review - Plush Life

Plush Life by Gini Koch

* Received from the author for review.

3 gnomes and a gnome hat out of 5 gnomes

A great story, felt a bit more like a short story than a full length story. I liked the great mix of characters and I think I just wanted to know more about them and the whole stuffed animal business too.

Koch is great at writing colorful characters and this book is not exception there. Most of these characters feel like somebody you could see any day of the week walking down the street. I found myself really enjoying the side characters in this story.

The best part is when the two have to go to a retreat in New Orleans and stay at a pretty certifiable guys house. You don’t know who to trust but they meet some interesting people.

I like the voodoo aspect and tarot cards, again I just wish there was more of it.

Meggie is a strange character. I wanted to like her a lot more than I did. She almost doesn’t have enough agency in her own parts of the story (especially in later parts of the book.) She’s a bit conflicted to say the least, when she is being a strong character though I really do like her. She’s at her best when her and Tommy are together (they make quite an interesting pair especially at the resort.)

Tommy’s character was great but like with Meggie I think all his scenes worked best when they were together. Their friendship and partnership making stuffed animals is a great set up.

The bad guy is super bad and you will definitely wish for horrible things to befall him. At parts though it felt like the whole group good and bad were going in a giant circle.

A suspense book well worth reading and I would be interested in reading more about these characters and their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy the blog, I love reading each and every comment. :)