Thursday, July 7, 2016

Review - You Know Me Well

You Know Me Well by Nina LaCour and David Levithan

* Read via NetGalley for review

4 gnomes out of 5 gnomes

This book was so good and it really makes you feel for the characters.

I like that the characters are open about their sexuality and how relatable their problems are. The first meeting of the two main characters is one of the funniest I’ve read in quite a while. That scene also made me think what an awesome potential movie this could be. It all just feels really thematic/is full of great visuals.

It’s awesome how Mark and Kate hit it off right away, it’s like they’ve each found their best friend soul mate.

Their relationships were well done/juicily complicated. The Mark/Ryan bits were cringey but also felt truthful and did make you feel bad for them. Kate’s potential relationship with Violet felt a bit stalker-y/weird at first but then it started to grow on me. I was never sure why Kate was friends with her best friend (they didn’t seem compatible at all.) How everything works out though is well worth reading.

The dialogue is strong and there are plenty of quotable quotes. The whole story takes place during Pride week and the whole atmosphere feels like another character in the story and really brings the book to life.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed this one too! I think it's an important story because it goes past the coming out bit, and moves into the territory of what's after that... Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :)
      Yeah I loved the book for that reason too because it showed how complex all their relationships were both with their friends and boyfriends/girlfriends.

      Delete

Hi, let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy the blog, I love reading each and every comment. :)