Monday, January 2, 2012

Sentence Sneak Peek - A Million Suns

A Million Suns by Beth Revis

The first sentence from each chapter of A Million Suns, it's a mini summary of what you can expect to read.

* Spoilers are highlighted like so :)
* Book will be released January 10, 2012
* Read ARC via a tour put together by Megan and Mindy at the Secret of the Stars blog

"THIS ISN'T GOING TO BE EASY," I MUTTER, STARING AT THE solid metal door that leads to the Engine Room on the Shipper Level of Godspeed."

"A DROP OF WATER SPLASHES AGAINST THE METAL FLOOR."

"I STARE AT MARAE, MY MOUTH HANGING OPEN."

"I CHECK THE CLOCK ON A FLOPPY WHEN I GET BACK TO MY room in the hospital."

"The words take a long time to sink in."

"THIS WI-COM IS SUPPOSED TO CONNECT ME TO THE SHIP, BUT all it does is make me feel even more disconnected from my past."

"THE DOOR IS LOCKED."

"I HAVE TO GET OUT.."

"ELDER?"

"WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO SAY?"

"BUT. . . "

"THE NEXT MORNING, I GO STRAIGHT TO MY PARENTS."

"I FEEL ALONE."

"BACK IN MY ROOM, I CAN'T QUIT PACING."

"Doc coms me as I leave the Recorder Hall."

"I PROP HARLEY'S LAST PAINTING UP ON MY BED AND STAND back."

"THE SCREEN GOES BLANK."

"THE RABBIT FARM WAS WHERE I FIRST FELT HORROR."

"FOUND YOU," I SAY, PUSHING OPEN THE DOOR."

"WHO WOULD TAKE IT?"

"I WAS THIRTEEN AND STILL LIVED AT THE HOSPITAL."

"ELDER FINISHES HIS STORY AS WE ENTER THE CITY."

"IT'S DARK INSIDE, AND IT STINKS OF SOMETHING SOURED."

"GO HOME?"

"I'M GLAD AMY LEFT—I DON'T WANT HER INVOLVED IN THIS argument."

"I'M OUT OF BREATH BY THE TIME I MAKE IT BACK TO THE Hospital."

"DON'T  CROWD  AROUND!"

"WHEN I GET TO THE ELEVATOR AT THE HOSPITAL, MY HAND hovers over the 3 button, but at the last second, I press 4 instead."

"AFTER REMINDING DOC TO STOP BY LIL'S HOME BEFORE taking Stevy's body away, I help the Shippers inspect the City streets."

"I STARE AT THE PRINTED LIST AND CURSE ORION ALOUD."

"AMY LEANS AGAINST THE CRYO-LEVEL WALL, WATCHING AS I approach the keypad by the locked door to the left of the hatch."

"WELL, FREX," ELDER SAYS, LEANING AWAY AND LOOKING AT the blank floppy in disgust."

"FREX," I MUMBLE AS MARAE RUNS DOWN THE LIST OF EVERY thing that's happened so far today."

"I CAN'T KEEP STILL."

"THE NEXT MORNING, I WAKE TO A COM."

"THE DOOR SWINGS OPEN, AND IT'S NOT UNTIL I TAKE A HUGE gasp of air that I realize I'd been holding my breath."

"MY ARMS AND LEGS FEEL SLOGGED DOWN AS IF WALKING through muddy water."

"I STARE OUT THE OPEN HATCH, MY EYES NOT ON THE STARS, but on the tether that ties Elder back to me."

"I CAN'T BREATHE, BUT IT'S NOT BECAUSE OF THE LACK OF oxygen."

"AS SOON AS THE HATCH DOOR SHUTS, I REACH FOR THE handle, but it has to re-pressurize before it can open."

"UHHRRR," I GROAN."

"THE ROOM FEELS HOLLOW WHEN ELDER LEAVES."

"MY MIND WHIRLS AS THE WIND IN THE GRAV TUBE BEATS against my skull as I fly up to the Shipper Level."

"AT LUNCHTIME, I PRESS THE BUTTON IN MY WALL, BUT NO food comes out."

"I SLIDE MY THUMB OVER THE BIOMETRIC SCANNER AGAIN, and the metal panels over the ceiling start to close."

"WITHOUT ELDER, THERE'S LITTLE POINT IN ME EXPLORING the stairs further."

"SHE LOOKS SO SAD AND ALONE, SO ABANDONEDAND I'M the one who abandoned her, even though I'm still sitting by the edge of the pond beside her."

"OH, I'M SORRY," LUTHOR SAYS."

"ELDER, THERE'S—YOU NEED TO COME TO THE CITY."

"I HEARD THE WI-COMS FIRST."

"THE FREX AM I SUPPOSED TO DO WITH A SHIP IN REVOLT?"

"WHEN I CLOSE MY PARENTS BACK UP IN THE CRYO CHAMBER, I think about everything I wish I could tell them, but all I say is: "Soon."

"I GET TO THE KEEPER LEVEL ONLY A FEW MINUTES BEFORE the solar lamp is due to click off—at its proper time—and I rush straight to Eldest's room, swing open the door of his closet, and pull out the Keeper Robe."

"I IGNORE THE ALL-CALL ELDER SENT INVITING EVERYONE TO the Keeper Level."

"I DIDN'T MEAN TO FALL ASLEEP—I MEANT TO JUST TAKE A quick nap, then get Amy and give her a private viewing of the planet on the Bridge."

"I WAKE UP EARLY."

"ALTHOUGH IT IS BARELY TIME FOR THE SOLAR LAMP TO TURN on, the Shipper Level is crowded."

"I HAVE NEVER RUN SO HARD OR SO FAST AS WHEN I RACED from the Hospital to the grav tube."

"NO, NO, NO, NO, NO," SHELBY SAID."

"MY HEART THUDS IN MY THROAT, AND IT MAKES ME WANT TO throw up."

"THE HOSPITAL'S NO LONGER SAFE, SO WE SET UP THE RECORDER Hall as a temporary infirmary."

"THE CROWD DISSOLVES SLOWLY."

"I CATCH THE ESCAPE SHUTTLE REPLICA WITH ONE HAND."

"I LET THE FLOPPY SLIDE FROM MY FINGERS AND WATCH AS IT wafts to the floor."

"NO, NO, NO," AMY WHISPERS."

"ELDER STANDS NEXT TO THE PHYDUS MACHINE, THE WIRES in his hand, but he doesn't seem able to hook them up."

"I SEE IT ALL IN SLOW MOTION, WITH EVERYTHING FUZZY around the edges."

"MY HANDS ARE SOAKED IN BLOOD."

"BARTIE SLAMS THE HATCH DOOR SHUT, AND I PUNCH IN THE code."

"WHEN ELDER AND I EMERGE FROM THE HATCH, THERE'S already a crowd."

"AMY CORNERS ME IN THE KEEPER LEVEL AT THE END OF THE DAY."

"ON MY LAST DAY ABOARD GODSPEED I PACK EVERYTHING I own in a small bag."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy the blog, I love reading each and every comment. :)