Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Amusing Aliens

Touched by an Alien by Gini Koch













This book gets a definite 5 out of 5 gnomes for humor, characters, having a very sci-fi action movie type cover, superbeing fighting, and for being a supremely fun read.  I checked this book out from the library and definitely plan on buying it so I can reread it. 


First, a funny story about what happened after I finished reading Touched by an Alien.  The next book that I read just happened to have a character named Martin but each and every time I came across the name Martin in the book I kept reading is as Martini.  So now you've been warned that this book may indeed stick with you.

There's action right from the beginning as Kitty sees an altercation where a man seems to be changing into a monster.  She then proceeds to kill the monster by stabbing a jellyfish looking thing that's attached to him with a Mont Blanc pen.  Then all of a sudden men in suits show up to take care of everything and whisk Kitty away.

I love the references to Men in Black, a truly awesome movie, that Kitty keeps making as these guys are pretty evasive about who they are at first.  Kitty figures these guys out pretty quick since the aliens or Alpha Centaurians are really bad at lying.

This book has a little bit of everything and is a lot of fun to read.  I love that their transference devices (transporters) are located in Men's bathrooms at air ports.  Kitty's parents and her menagerie of pets are very entertaining especially Dutchess.  I too would have the same problem with the alarm clock that Kitty did.  While reading you have the feeling that it would be great to be friends with these characters especially Reader, Lorraine and Claudia.  Speaking of friends, I have the feeling that her friend Chuckie, a conspiracy buff, might play a part in later books.

There are two love interests thrown into the mix.  There's Jeff Martini and Christopher White.  Martini is an empath, which makes things very interesting throughout the story.  Christopher has the power to change images which lets him make sure pictures of aliens and superbeings don't show up everywhere.  He also has what Kitty calls a "patented glare" this glare can vary in severeness.  There are indeed some steamy scenes for Kitty. I am firmly on the side of Team Martini even though in the book her Mom seemed to like Christopher more but of course everyone has their own opinions.


There's plenty of action and even some explosions.  The bad guy is one heck of a character with quite the back story, goes by the devilish name Mephistopheles.  Kitty is such an awesome heroine with her love of music and her sense of humor.  There's love, betrayal, aliens, and more.  This is a one of those books that you just know you're going to read over and over.  I personally would love to see a TV show or movie made from this and future books. 

Martini and Kitty have quite an intense chemistry between them and I can't wait to see what happens next.

A great quote from toward the end of the book,
                 "Martini smiled and I saw my future."
The ending of this book is wrapped up well and the story continues in the next book Alien Tango.

3 comments:

Hi, let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy the blog, I love reading each and every comment. :)