Monday, September 3, 2012

Sentence Sneak Peek - In a Fix

In a Fix by Linda Grimes

The first sentence from each chapter of In a Fix, it's a mini summary of what you can expect to read.

* ARC provided by the publisher via NetGalley


“The ideal vantage point for observing a half-naked man was definitely across the rim of a crystal champagne flute.”

“Dust descended, choking and blinding me.”

“I dropped the cans on the counter and ran back to the living room, wiping my hand on the seat of my pants as I went.”

“Billy dumped the shopping bags on a chair in the living room.”

“My plan was simple: payback.”

Billy and I got to the airport early, after driving through a raging storm, so I had plenty of time to work myself into a state of nearfrozen panic before we boarded.”

“Mark lives on a thirty-foot sailboat he keeps anchored in southwest D.C.”

“My company headquarters is located on the third floor of an old office building in the heart of D.C.”

“Mark stood at the end of the otherwise empty corridor, speaking softly into his phone.”

“La Guardia was bustling when I landed, but at least I didn’t have to retrieve any suitcases from baggage claim, Trey’s luggage having been blown into nonexistence.”

“Sunlight from the open air side of the garage bounced off the chrome like bullets off Superman’s chest.”

“The gazebo had a gorgeous view of the lake, but Mina, parked at the table in its center, appeared oblivious to the beauty surrounding her.”

“I woke up in a small, dark, musty-smelling place.”

“When I came to again I was on a bed in a tiny, dimly lit room.”

Nils handcuffed me back to the bed, but didn’t attempt any funny business.”

“I drove as fast as I dared, letting instinct lead me.”

“Whoa!”

“It was a tug-of-war, and I was pulling for all I was worth.”

“I didn’t know where Nils was headed, but he was in a hurry to get there.”

“Mina, this is Ciel.”

Nils crumpled, leaving me standing there staring at the blackhaired Berserker.”

“Okay, changed my mind.”

“The mirror in the head was small, so I only had to see tiny chunks of sea- mangled me at a time.”

“. . . don’t you think?”

“Laura lifted a questioning eyebrow, but didn’t say anything else.”

“Cripes.”

She calls herself a birder, and she doesn’t recognize the scientific name for a wood pigeon.”

“The pine I chose wasn’t overly tall, but it was densely branched enough to provide good camouflage.”

Billy left without another word.”

“The surreal image in the full- length mirror floated dizzily before me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy the blog, I love reading each and every comment. :)