Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Galloping Gargoyles!: Spellmason Strength of Stone

Alchemystic by Anton Strout

4 gnomes out of 5 gnomes

(I bumped up the rating from a 3 gnomes and a gnome hat out of 5 gnomes to a 4 gnomes out of 5 gnomes because I like Stanis so much.)

I adore gargoyles and absolutely devoured the TV show Gargoyles so I knew I had to read this book.  Also just check out the cover, now that it was cool/original looking cover.  I was not disappointed at all by the gargoyle side of the book but the human side took a bit to get started/used to.  I think it definitely would have been a 5/5 kind of book if the whole thing was from the point of view of Stanis.  

It took a while for Alexandra to grow on me but she does slowly change into the kind of person that you want to root for.  Her family dynamic and her relationship with her parents and brother start complicated and then remain so throughout.  Then things get really complicated for her when Stanis shows up.  

Stanis is the real star of this book.  As the story moves along he seems to change for the better.  He grows as a character and has to get used to the way the world works now.  Overall he is one stone cold cool gargoyle/grotesque.

Alexandra’s friends Rory and Marshall are a great pair, I love their bickering back and forth. They couldn’t be more opposite at first but they really seem to be meshing well as the story progresses.  It’s fun how Marshall’s gaming knowledge helps the group when they’re in trouble. Some of the funniest events happen when these two are around.   

The ending was so good and leaves you with some very interesting questions about the future.  I can’t wait to learn even more about how being a spellmason works and what exactly is going to be done with Stanis now that some crazy stuff has been revealed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy the blog, I love reading each and every comment. :)